Open Thread – March!
Don’t forget to join your favorite Alaskan women (and men) at the Unite Against the War on Women March on Saturday, April 28 at 9th & I St. in Anchorage at 12:00 noon. Marchers will walk from there to Town Square, where there will be speakers and love music.
People across the nation will unite to tell lawmakers in 50 states that we’ve had enough!
(Everything below is shamelessly lifted from the announcement over at Bent Alaska)
Everyone is invited to join, plan, and rally as we unite to demand that every person be granted equal opportunities, equal rights, and equal representation.
We will assemble at the flag pole on the Delaney Parkstrip at 9th and I to pick up signs (first come, first served) or bring your own. And remember, you don’t need to have a sign to march – just bring yourself! At noon we’ll start marching from Parkstrip (9th & I), down I street, right on 6th Ave, to Town Square at 6th & F St.
Join us for great music and speakers at Town Square following the march:
- Shannyn Moore – Mistress of Ceremonies (Radio/TV host, “Just a Girl from Homer”) welcomes us.
- Libby Roderick, Alaskan musician extraordinaire, sings!
- Dr. Colleen Murphy, OB-GYN, speaks about women’s health care, including reproductive rights, abortion.
- Rev. Connie Jones, Anchorage Episcopalian priest, on economic disparity.
- Lennie Moren, activist and women’s rights advocate, tells us the “Facts of Life” for women in Alaska.
- Diane Benson, UAA instructor, former Congressional and Lt. Governor candidate.
- Helen Nienhueser, Alaska Women’s Hall of Fame member, instrumental in establishing freedom of choice for Alaska women, speaks about Planned Parenthood and women’s right to choose.
- Eric Croft, Anchorage attorney, former legislator.
- Date/time: Saturday, April 28, 12:00 to 2:00 PM
- Location: 9th & I, Anchorage, AK (see map); march to Town Square Park, 544 West 5th Avenue (see map)
- Further info: see Facebook page or National website